Whimsy Paper Mache Links/paper macheing, how to's, ideals

A Whimsical DIY Easy Bunny Cake

whimsical-bunny_thumb8Easter Sunday falls on April 8 this year and this little guy is sure to hip pity hop his way into each of your hearts as he has mine. Best of all you don't have to spend a lot of money to make this whimsical bunny cake.
I started looking around for a Paper Mache Easter Project and came across this old clicking of my Mother's. Every Easter my Mother made this cake for my sisters and I and later I watched her make them with our children.
This Bunny Easter Cake is so very whimsical and cake mix easy.

How 2 Make an Easter Bunny Cake

What You Need to Start Your CakePICT6566_thumb8
White Cake Mix & Icing
Coconut
Red Food Color
Red String Licorice
Jelly Beans
Gum Drops (Not the Gum Drop Buttons)
Pink Crystal Sprinkles (optional)

Prepare cake according to package instructions, using two standard, round cake pans. Let your cakes completely cool before you start.
raw-bunny_thumb15First we will cut the cakes into our shapes.
Cut 2 semi-circles out of one round cake on opposite sides, leaving a bow-tie shape in the middle. Place cut pieces of cake on covered cardboard, forming ears.
Place remaining piece of cake at bottom of round cake, forming a bow-tie.
Icing your bunny ears and bow tie in place with your icing and cover your bunny with icing all over, leave nothing uncovered.

Decorating Your Bunny Cake

ears_thumb12To start I mix a little coconut together with a couple drops of red food coloring for the pink inside the bunnies ears.
Then I spread a thick layer of coconut all over the bunny.
whiskers_thumb11I used Blue Jelly Beans for the eyes and Red String Licorice for the bunny's whiskers and mouth. I grab a handful of sprinkle colored jelly beans and accented the bow tie adding lot of whimsical color to our Easter Bunny Cake.
Here's An Ideal

To put the finishing touch on your bunny cake add green coconut for grass and sprinkle some jelly beans in the grass as Easter eggs.
Easy decorating that is so much fun and they are so cute, I sat mine in the refrigerator to greet my family this morning. My husband loves the Bunny cake and now my family will start their own Bunny Cake tradition.

© whimsypapermache.com
bunnycakepattern3
Homemade Buttery Cream Frosting for Your Bunny Cake
1/2 cup Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening or Butter Flavor Stick
7 cups confectioners' sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup milk, plus more if needed
In medium mixing bowl, beat 8 oz. of creamy Butter Flavor Shortening. Add confectioners' sugar, one cup at a time.
Add vanilla.
Slowly blend in milk to desired consistency, adding up to 2 Tablespoons more if needed. Beat on high speed for 5 minutes, or until smooth and creamy.

I use the icing on most of my made from scratch recipes.