Easy Paper Mache Pup
It's pretty easy, I believe it is something that you all can do and enjoy.
If you don't have a wine bottle you can use a plastic water bottle or even a soda bottle if you like.
Your Material List
Recycled newspaper & cardboard
Paper Mache Paste
Acrylic paints, brushes
And a Smile
Make Your Pup Armature
1. First you will make an armature. You will blow up a small balloon for the pup's head and place that into the opening of your recyclable wine bottle. By cutting pieces of cardboard you will shape your pup's ears and tape those into place on your balloon. You can even add 3d cheeks and nose for character enhancements.
You will also roll up newspaper for a tail and tape that onto the back of your bottle at the bottom.
You have your armature built, so you are ready to apply your newspaper strips.
2. To create your whimsy Pup you can use the paper mache strip recipe, recipes are posted under the How 2 Recipe Playlist, on the right hand side bar.
The goal is to cover the glass completely but it will not need the paper mache layers for strengthening.
To dry your first set of layers let it dry overnight, if you put your pup in the sun it could pop your balloon. It has happened to me more than once.
3. Strip Time You will need to cover your pup head with 15 to 20 layers of paper mache for it to be strong. The more layers you apply the harder the sculpture will be. Let all your layers completely dry.
4. Lightly Sand your Pup down so he or she is nice and smooth. Add a primer coat of white acrylic or gesso paint. Sand again if needed at this stage.
5. Add your color to your Pup and let it all dry again. I used acrylic paint on this paper mache pup and then I sealed it with a clear coat of varnish..
6. Cover the entire Pup with poly acrylic varnish or spray sealer and let this completely dry. (Minwax Polycrylic)
Completed Whimsy Pup
The Bottle pup is really cute and simple to make, if you have any questions or suggestions feel free to leave them here or join us on our Facebook Studio Page.
Always great to have you visit the "whimsy-est" studio on the internet, smiles and roses to you.
How to connect with the studio.