Whimsy Paper Mache Links/paper macheing, how to's, ideals

ART Takes Flight


Paper mache is one of the most versatile arts around; there is no right or wrong way to do it. You can create almost anything, and usually you have all you need laying around your home.

This bright hot air balloon is hand-built from recycled newspaper strips laid over a 9 inch balloon mold. The length of your strips may vary depending on the size of your balloon; however, I wanted my strips to be about 1 to 2 inches wide. I dip one piece of newspaper at a time into a prepared mache paste to saturate the strip. I run the strip through my fingers to squeeze off the excess paste. Don’t be afraid to get messy, that ART.

I completely cover the creation with a layer of strips running in all different directions. After the one layer is applied, I let it completely dry. The dry time can take up to 24 hours. I repeated this process until I got the desired effect; you should have at least 10 layers for a strong finish.

I painted the balloon with bright green acrylic to create a background then painted the purple design. I sealed the balloon with a clear acrylic gloss to protect the finish. I have placed copper through the top for hanging; the basket is attached with purple cord.

Another Hot Air Balloon!
The hot air balloon is approximately 15 inches in length from the top of the hot air balloon to the bottom of the basket. The inside of the basket is signed. The balloon is intended for decoration only and can be wiped clean with a dry cloth. This papier-mâché balloon would make very tasteful decoration to brighten up any room.

Take some time to browse through the photos and have a great day!
Charisse